Friday 27 March 2009

The Blue Quilt

This quilt is literally my every-day quilt. In the winter it goes on top of the duvet for some extra warm, snuggly goodness and in the summer when it gets really hot we ditch the duvet and just keep the quilt to sleep under.

This was the first iteration of my 'denim' quilt. I was going through a phase where I was balking at paying £9 or £10 for a metre of fabric and wanting to make a more frugal and practical quilt. I originally wanted to use recycled denim but was told (quite rightly) that this really wasn't a good idea for the Quilt As You Go course I had signed up for. A quick trip to the Fabric Warehouse resulted in me picking up some light & dark 'denim' coloured cottons for about £3/m (which satisifed my frugality drive) which I mixed with some calico (which ironically cost more than double that as I had to get it from the quilt shop when I realised I didn't have a background).

The resulting quilt is simple but, I think, quite striking and uses just 3 fabrics to construct a variation of an Irish Chain (as featured in Carolyn Forster's Quilting On The Go book which I highly recommend). It was the first time I'd tried the quilt as you go method and, whilst it does add a couple of extra stages, it makes the hand quilting sooo much easier - I would never have wanted to do as much quilting as I did if I had to manhandle the entire quilt all the time. Also, I was a little afraid that the assembled quilt would be weaker than a traditional quilt (each block is constructed seperately so there isn't a solid piece of wadding/backing running through it) but it's been in daily use for the best part of 2 years now and isn't showing any signs of stress.

The whole quilt (King Sized)

Detail of the hand quilting (Click image to see better)

I used the same fabric on the back of each block as on the front so there is a chequerboard effect on the reverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment