Wednesday 4 March 2009

One Step Closer

I just got back from Brecon yesterday and was in a doing-things mood. The original plan when I took an extra day off work was to do all the housework and get the holiday stuff squared away - somehow it accidentally turned into a doing-some-patchwork day instead!

I have finally (almost a year to the day) finished the arcs for my New York Beauty. 48 beautifully pieced foudation arcs in shades of red and blue now lie on the ironing board waiting to be completed with inner and outer blocking. I set the sewing machine up in front of the telly, wacked the volume up high and 5 hours of re-runs later finally finished the last 12 arcs. I think i'm giving the foundation piecing a break for a while - the results are definately cool but the fact that I had to trim after every single piece really got to me - very hard to build up a rhythm. Still, finished now.

I also cut all the centres and outers for the blocks so now it's just a case of ironing the freezer paper, tacking the curves and overstitching them to the arcs.... I still love the look of the New York Beauty but all the funny-sewing means that I'm unlikely to make another and I have point-blank refused to even contemplate piecing the pointy border... I'll find some other way to finish it; anything but more foundation pieced spikes!


Next stupidly ambitions project to finish is the 420+ foundation pieced log cabin blocks for my around the world quilt. I am quite possibly mad but I'm a good couple of hundred into it now so it will definately get finished... eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment