Wednesday 25 March 2009

Introducing the Denim Lone Star

I'd been wanting to make a quilt out of old jeans for ages but for obvious reasons the tutors on my quilting classes expressed considerable doubt about me using denim for patchwork (hence how The Blue Quilt came to be). I decided that the only way to get my quilt made was to go it alone so I set to work choosing a pattern.

There was a lovely post on my old blog (eaten by the free-hosting company) that showed all the different sorts of denim quilts that I came across on my internet searching, I may well recreate it when I have some spare time - for now let me say there are many. But none of them were quite what I wanted.

Eventually I realised what it was that I really wanted to make: A Denim Lone Star quilt. I love the lone star pattern and the radiating bands of colour in the star but the sheer number of diamonds had always put me off. This then was the perfect solution - denim is heavy and thick therefore I had the perfect excuse to use big pieces and by carefully sorting my stash of old jeans I could get the bands of colour I so admired and add a tonal spin to things too.

Again, on the old blog there was a step-by-step record of exactly how I made the quilt. This too will hopefully be revived but will take a little while to re-assemble.

For now, here it is - the Denim Lone Star Quilt. The blue is all recycled jeans (and a skirt) the background I cheated on and bought from Fabric Land (but it was really cheap if that helps!). It's massive and it weighs a ton - it's too big for my king-sized bed and only just fits on my living room floor but I love it. It was originally destined to be a picnic rug but I've become quite horrified by the thought of that lovely white backing getting muddy so I think it will be a sofa throw instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment